Wednesday, May 09, 2007

This is Me, Teaching

Here I am in my 7th grade class. Yes, I'm holding a cigarette, but no I'm not smoking. I'm about to do a smoking experiment with them, and here we are talking about the long and short term effects of smoking. At this point they are answering what would happen to my body in this moment if I were indeed smoking.
Outside, doing the experiment. There's a cigarette in the opening of that bottle, stuck in there with cotton, which represents their teeth, skin and mouth. They are watching as the smoke fills up in the bottle, which represents their lungs. And that's Profira, one of my partner teachers, in the back.
Here I am puffing the smoke that collected in the bottle into their faces, to make 100% sure they are turned off from smoking.
I posted this one because of my silly face. I'm holding the cotton that was around the cigarette, which is now all yellow and gets them to understand the yellowing effect smoking has on the teeth and fingers. They were most repulsed by that cotton.
And here I am with the 4th graders who I asked to teach me their jumping game. They kept raising the string higher and higher! I had to tell them I'm taller than them and it's not so easy for me!

<>